Our E3 2011 Predictions
Last year we did pretty well. I mean, looking back, we actually did pretty damn good. This year though, there’s more of us, and, well, that means that someone will lose. Not only will the member of staff that predicts the fewest correct E3 happenings be ridiculed by the rest of us, they will have to ensure that our cake tray is fully stocked for a whole year – and that’s no easy task.
With the days closing in, the rumour mill is running in overdrive, with things already leaked left, right and centre. Last year we had some biggun’s, especially with the Xbox 360 S leaking the night before. This year has been limited so far to the possibility of a handheld console’s name and a couple of new titles but there’s still time. So before anything else slips through the giant PR dam, we’re going to attempt to put our keen skills to work to predict this years E3.
So without further ado, let’s take a look.
- NGP to be given solid release date, price and name – For a release in Japan by years end, and an early 2012 for other territories, the NGP’s real name is revealed alongside a price for all regions.
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII demoed – To get a live demo during Sony conference ending with a new stunning CG trailer with a release date for 2012.
- Sorcery given new trailer and release date – Having disappeared since last years E3 demo, Sorcery to receive a trailer showcasing the game, closing with a end of year release.
- Sony very apologetic over PSN hack – This one’s pretty much a given. Expect plenty of apologies, details of how secure the new system is and many humble bows.
- Microsoft announce two new big IPs – No idea what they could be, but they must surely.
- GTA V revealed – Multiplatform release but with PS3 timed exclusivity DLC, set for a mid-2012 release.
- Super Mario Galaxy 3 to be a launch title for Project Cafe – We know that Project Cafe will be revealed, but will it have the launch lineup to entice customers? A new Mario title, yes another one, would certainly do that though. Perhaps moving away from the Galaxy brand though.
- A total of five big sequels announced – Across the big three and then the major publishers this is quite possible. What could there be though? God of War 4? ModNation Racers 2? Alan Wake 2? Who knows.
- Next Xbox revealed – After knowledge that Project Cafe would indeed be unveiled at E3, Microsoft move up plans to reveal their next console.
- Mirror’s Edge 2 revealed – This one’s more of a personal wish. As a lover of the original, a sequel is hopefully a must.
- Bungie reveal their latest game – It’s a long shot but you never know. Most probably during the Microsoft keynote, but during the Sony one would be huge.
- NGP to get solid release date – Announced five months ago now, it must be shown at E3. If no release date is announced, I will eat my hat. Personally, I’m expecting first half of 2012 for it to be out in all regions. Expecting a big demo for Uncharted NGP as well.
- Mario 3DS to be revealed – Apart from Zelda and Kid Icarus, Nintendo hasn’t shown many of their games for release after E3 and Nintendo consoles and Mario go together like bread and butter. It’s always just a question of when.
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 to be shown – Another game we haven’t seen much of. We’ve been given one screenshot of Lightning alongside the teaser trailer and that’s it. I will cry if we don’t see anything from XIII-2.
- Star Wars Kinect will be rubbish – You feel it and I feel it. It just will won’t it?
- GTA V to get revealed – GTA V is another question of when. Much like Starhawk, we all know it’s being developed but will we see it this year at E3? Maybe.
- Respawn show off their ‘CoD beater’ – Not a peep has been heard from the company set up by former Infinity Ward execs West and Zampella since their founding. They have to show something or they could leave people asking ‘Who the hell are they?’
- Valve actually show up and reveal Half Life 3 – Valve are sneaky little beggars and, since Gabe Newell joined Sony’s conference, you wouldn’t put anything past them. Announcing you’re not going to E3 could be an elaborate trick to help pull of the biggest surprise of the expo.
- Zelda Skyward Sword to get released on Project Cafe – Already certain to be giving its unveiling for E3, there’s always the possibility that Nintendo delay Skyward Sword to release it on the new console with HD graphics? I hope so.
- Next Xbox revealed – We have all seen the rumours of EA having a working model at their offices and both EA and Microsoft have refuted the claims. There were also rumours that it will be announced and revealed at E3 but I highly doubt it.
- I Am Alive shown – You remember I Am Alive right? Me neither but it is said to still be in development. What are the chances it will be shown at the expo? Slim.
- Last Guardian playable – I think it will be shown but not quite playable yet. I hope I’m wrong though.
- Final Fantasy XIII Versus goes multiplatform – It was a shock when XIII was announced for Xbox 360 as well as PlayStation 3. But will XIII Versus go multiplatform in addition to XIII-2? I’m not so sure.
- An amazing Battlefield 3 trailer and possibly live gameplay – It has to be… surely!
- Big feature on Kinect and its success so far – Plus more information on Star Wars Kinect game and other big titles to be released/in development.
- Gears of War 3 demoed – With more information on the beta and a host of features/statistics.
- Sony very apologetic over PSN hack – No surprise here really.
- Microsoft announce a mammoth new IP – Microsoft are running out of steam for this gen and need to kick it into gear right away.
- Massive Modern Warfare 3 reveal – To keep the hype flames fuelled more than anything else.
- Microsoft announce next console – As I’ve already said, it keep as though they don’t have much steam left and will have to announce major IP releases or, perhaps less likely, their next console. They are crafty buggers and I think will want to steal the show, and what better way to do it than top Project Cafe and the NGP.
- Microsoft have a stab at PSN downtime - I really hope not but it would not surprise me if indeed they mentioned it. It is the sort of thing they have done in the past. Maybe with the announcement of a new console will come bragging of LIVE and its stability or something.
- Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer beta announced – Would be a damn good move to pour yet more fuel on the hype flames, but I think it is unlikely they shall bother.
- Trophy Patch announced for Metal Gear Solid 4 – Unlikely but please dear lord let it happen
- Diablo III console confirmation – A longer shot than Mirror’s Edge 2 (though I agree the first was legendary) but it would be an amazing announcement and one that would possibly eclipse anything else announced.
- NGP to be given solid release date and name – I’m expecting Sony to give a date for Japan and/or the U.S. at least and a definite name is surely expected, but I have reservations about them announcing a price.
- New Final Fantasy XIII-2 trailer and release date – Since its announcement, we’ve heard little to nothing about the sequel to XIII that is supposedly releasing this year. Expect a new trailer and a possible delay already, it is Final Fantasy after all.
- Witcher 2 announced for consoles – With great reviews and universal acclaim, coupled with the heavy rumors of a console port, expect to see CD Projekt RED’s epic RPG make an appearance on a console.
- Sony only mention hack in passing – Too big not to mention, but also would drag the show to a spectacle of apologies, I think it would be in their best interest not to dwell on it and instead focus on the stuff we really want to hear about. Games.
- Project Café will launch with a Mario game, Skyward Sword now a launch game – We all know it’s coming with it having been confirmed by Nintendo, but the games are what I really want to see. It needs a strong lineup to keep it relevant.
- GTA V revealed – After the success of L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar will be riding high and what better way to keep momentum going than revisiting the GTA franchise?
- New Final Fantasy Versus XII information – It’s been so long, just give us something, anything Square! One of the most highly anticipated Playstation 3 exclusives is one we know so little about! Hopefully we see some gameplay and maybe a tentative release date.
- Microsoft announce a Kinect FPS – Does anyone want it? Who knows, but Microsoft could well do it anyway!
- Kingdom Hearts 3 announced – Too much to hope for, but a man can dream, right?
- New Xbox announced – The rumors have been coming, but were described as 100% false. Still, with Nintendo announcing their new console, Microsoft might, just might, try to steal the show with an unexpected announcement. Not likely, though.
- Half Life 2: Episode 3/Half Life 3 revealed – I wouldn’t put it past Gabe to surprise us all, but then again I wouldn’t be surprised if Valve haven’t even started development on it!
- 3DS/Project Cafe Compatibility explained – We know the 3DS doesn’t talk to the Wii, so maybe those two consoles connect to each other!
- NGP to get its name, but not necessarily a fixed release date - We know that Sony have had their issues of late, therefore it is possible that other departments may have seen a dip in funding to explore new technology while PSN and other things got fixed.
- Sony grovelling to the masses about the PSN hack – Then trying to win hearts by saying “here’s what we’ve put in to make sure it doesn’t happen again”.
- Release dates for Mario Kart 3D, Super Mario 3D and anything else Nintendo wants to put onto their 3DS – The release list looks a little dry at the moment, so this should be a given.
- Last Guardian at Sony Keynote speech with actual gameplay footage – Needs to happen here as I can’t wait another year with just screenshots and a summary of storyline to go on.
- Surprise swansong title for the Wii - Like all consoles, this needs to go out with a first party bang! (No, I don’t mean Zelda).
- Project Cafe to re-design the Mii’s and then convert to 3DS via update – Mii’s don’t look ready for the HD era at the moment, so probably need a redesign to liven them up a little.
- New Mii based game at Project Cafe’s launch that is bundled with the console to show off the tech – It worked for Wii Sports, why can’t it happen here?
- Microsoft announce Halo: Combat Evolved remake and rough release date for next year – What is unlikely is that they get Gearbox to assist 343 Industries as they ported the original game to the PC.
- Next Xbox Console revealed – May feature Kinect built-in, support all Xbox 360 games, have a Hard Drive transfer kit to port games over and other funky stuff. It’s a long shot though.
- New Lionhead game at Microsoft keynote speech… and it’s not Fable related – Peter Molyneux will get on stage and over hype yet another journey into another genre of game he wants to explore.
- Bethesda reveal new Call of Cthulhu related game based on HP Lovecraft’s The Dunwich Horror – …please?
- Bungie reveal next project as a non-FPS game – Would love to see what they do to say…a RPG or puzzle game!
And that’s it from us. What do you think? Are we way of the mark or do you think we may end up being right on the money? What are your predictions?